Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Dry Garlic Chutney For Vada Pav


          I had first tasted Vada Pav in the US only, the vada was served between the bun with some sweet chutney and spicy green chutney. Only later, did I come to know that it's served traditionally with this dry garlic chutney and fried green chilly. Now in Bangalore, I see so many versions of the Vada Pav, but I still prefer the classic one, with just the garlic chutney and green chilly, of course I don't mind the sweet chutney and spicy green chutney, but the garlic chutney is a must. So when I made Vada Pav ( will be posting it soon ) at home, I made this Dry Garlic Chutney, it's very easy to make, the main ingredients are garlic, coconut and peanuts and it gives a wonderful flavor and taste to the Vada Pav..

Need To Have
Chopped Garlic - 3 tablespoons
Raw Peanuts - 2 teaspoons
Grated Coconut - 1 tablespoon
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Kashmiri Chilly Powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon

Original recipe from here.

Method


          Dry roast the peanuts, cool, remove the skin and keep. Next, dry roast the grated coconut till it becomes dry, remove and keep.


          Heat some oil, add the chopped garlic, saute till it turns golden, then add the peanuts, coconut, coriander seeds and saute for 2 more minutes. Then add the chilly powder and salt, mix and remove.


          Using a mortar and pestle, pound it till you get a coarse mixture.


Note
You can use dry dessicated coconut, since I didn't have it, I used fresh coconut but toasted it till dry.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Chutney look very tasty and floverful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always wondered how the red dry chutney was made. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is something new. Love garlic and this looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vada pav...not sure what exactly it is..but it looks really appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Your dry garlic chutney is fabulous! I had only previously tried Bethany chutney recipe from my friends Moran and Charles in Baltimore. Thank you again from Baltimore! -- Johan and Kerrie

    ReplyDelete