Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Saamai ( Little Millet ) And Vegetable Upma


           This is my 500th post, it took me more than 3 years to do this, with my laziness, I can't believe that I have done so many posts. Actually I should have celebrated it with something sweet, but I noticed it only now, Well then, coming to today's post, Millet Upma, I have started including millets in our diet at least 2 or 3 times in a week, mostly I use it in the place of rice, in idlis, dosas, pongal and pilafs. I made this upma, some time back, I have used saamai/little millet and I have made it slightly different from the regular upma. The upma was very flavorful and colorful from the different vegetables and was very filling too. We can serve it either with coconut chutney or even with yoghurt/curd..

Need To Have

  • Saamai/Little Millet - 3/4 cup
  • Onions - 2 medium, chopped
  • Yellow Capsicum/Bell Pepper - 1 small, chopped
  • Carrot - 1 small, chopped
  • Fresh/Frozen Green Peas - 1/4 cup
  • Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
  • Chopped Coriander - 2 tablespoons
  • Green Chillies - 2, sliced
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Urad Dal/Husked Black Gram - 1 tablespoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10 - 15

To Pound

  • Shallots - 4
  • Ginger - 1" piece
  • Garlic - 3 cloves

Method


          Pound together all the ingredients given under ' to pound ' with a mortar and pestle. Wash and drain the saamai and keep.


          Heat some oil, add the urad dal and mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering, add the chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a minute. Then add the pounded onions and keep sauteing till you get a nice smell.


          Add the capsicum, carrots and peas and mix it, then add the tomatoes and keep mixing for another minute.


          Add the millet and mix for one more minute, then add about 21/2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and cook till the millets are cooked. Finally mix in the chopped coriander, cover and leave it undisturbed for about 10 minutes.


Note
You can add some roasted peanuts or cashews for more taste.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. healthy and filling upma..looks yumm
    btw,congrats on ur 500th post as well,Hema :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saamai upma looks delicious I would like to look for this little millet here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so delicious .. healthy too congrats on your milestone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious n healthy Upma..and congrats on your milestone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!! Healthy and delicious upma..

    ReplyDelete