Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Fluffy Pooris ( Puris )


          It has taken me so long ( more than 3 years ) to post these pooris/puris, though I make rotis/chappathis every other day, I make pooris very rarely, also, till now, I never got a chance to take pictures. Making perfect pooris might be a little hard for a beginner ( I have also been one ), they might turn out flat and crispy. The key to getting soft and fluffy pooris is in preparing the dough correctly and then rolling them, not too thin, of course, all this comes with practice..

Need To Have

  • Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for deep frying

Method


          Mix the flour with the salt, then adding water, little by little, make a stiff dough, apply some oil and keep for 5 minutes.


          Then make small lemon size balls, and roll them out into slightly thick discs.


         Heat some oil for deep frying, add the rolled out discs, one at a time.


         When it starts fluffing up, slowly flip it and cook on both sides till they turn golden on both sides. Remove, strain the excess oil and serve.


Note
I make small pooris, so that I can keep a small quantity of oil for deep frying. I got 12 pooris for the quantity given.
The dough should be stiff, but smooth.
Check the oil temperature before adding the pooris, drop a small piece of dough, it should come up in seconds.
When the poori starts fluffing, pressing it slightly with the spoon helps it to fluff up fully.
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. So beautifully puffed!! Very useful post for beginners!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly puffed poori. .long time since I made

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly puffed pooris..Getting hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely breakfast,I too rarely make these but kids love it so once a while on the go..yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfectly done.. Love that fully puffed pooris

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely a tricky job to puff up each and every piece of poori and you've done it so well. I'm totally drooling over these now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely breakfast recipe. Yummy yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect colour and nicely puffed. I too love puris but rarely make them these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! Do you think they would work with a gluten-free flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make, I have made pooris using rice flour, but the texture of the pooris will be slightly different.

      Delete