Monday, February 9, 2015

Homemade Vegetable Broth ( Stock )


          Couple of days back, I had made some soup, and I had to use vegetable broth/stock in it. Initially, I was thinking of buying the canned one, but as we know, in India, not all shops carry canned stock/broth, so then I decided to make my own. I had all the veggies in hand, making broth is actually very easy, it takes some time though, like about an hour or so, at the end of which you'll have this clear and healthy vegetable broth..

Need To Have

  • Onion - 1 medium
  • Carrots - 1/2 cup, chopped
  • Green Beans - 1/2 cup, chopped
  • Broccoli stems - 1/2 cup
  • Mushroom Stems - 1/2 cup
  • Tomato - 1 medium
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Method


           Heat some oil, add the onion pieces and saute till it turns pink, then add the all the vegetables and mix.


          Add about 6 cups water, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. Switch off and strain, as shown, extract as much as possible from the vegetables.
The broth is ready, if you want to have it as such, add some salt and pepper and serve.


Note
Can use spring onions and cabbage pieces also.
Broth is not only used in soups, it can be used for cooking couscous, quinoa and even rice too.
I got about 5 cups of broth.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, I love to add broth to my pulao/biryanis too...nothing can beat homemade version, free from artificial flavor,colors & preservatives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long can we store it? I love to use vegetable stock in curries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fine for 5 to 6 days, if frozen can stay much longer..

      Delete
  3. wow thats a perfect healthy broth with lovely consistency :) perfect to use for soups :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade stuffs are so much healthier.. Lovely broth recipe..

    ReplyDelete