Thursday, October 24, 2013

Drumstick Curry, Murungakkai Pirattal, Curry


          Whenever I bought drumsticks/ murungakkai, the only dish that I made was a sambar with it. Especially, when we were in the US, where drumsticks was a rare thing at least where I stayed, I would never try any other dish, I didn't want to do something that didn't taste good and waste them. After coming to India, where you get this vegetable in abundance, there is even a drumstick tree in my parents' place, I could play around with it. I made a soup with it but I was not satisfied with the result, then I made this curry, this one is a sure winner, it had the perfect balance of spices. It tasted too good when mixed with some white rice and the drumsticks tasted very delicious in this curry, try this when you cook drumsticks the next time..

Need To Have

  • Drumsticks/ Murungakkai - 4 medium ones, cut into 2" pieces
  • Capsicum - 1/2, chopped finely
  • Onions - 2 medium, chopped
  • Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Grated Coconut - 1 tablespoon
  • Fennel Seeds Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10

Method


          Heat some oil, add the fennel seeds powder, when it starts sizzling, add the onions and saute till they turn translucent, then add the chopped capsicum pieces and saute for a minute.


          Now add the drumstick and saute for another minute, then add the red chilly, coriander and turmeric powders and mix for a few seconds. Then add some water, about 1 cup and salt, cover and cook on medium heat till the drumsticks are done.


          You can check whether the drumsticks are cooked, just press a piece, it should split into 3 pieces as shown in the picture. If it's done, increase the heat and let all the water to evaporate. Now add the tomatoes, keep mixing till the tomatoes break down and the mixture becomes dry again.


          Now, add the grated coconut and curry leaves, mix for another minute, remove and serve it with some hot rice.


Note
When buying drumsticks, pick fresh green ones, that are not too fat.
Don't leave out the capsicum, that gives a nice flavor and taste to the curry.
Choose a nice ripe tomato that has a little bit of sourness.
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Hema you are teasing me with fresh drumstick, I miss them badly. Love to try this curry when I can get hold fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love drumstick sambar and poriyal made with drumstick leaves.
    Drumstick curry looks so YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also use them only for sambar. this curry is a nice change. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something new to me; vegetables that I see first time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only make sambar types with drumstick. This pirattal seems super!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eating drumstick, usually in fish curry. This dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can happily have this curry with some rasam rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amma makes this often and we love it.. missing this so much

    ReplyDelete