Monday, July 8, 2013

Green Beans Paruppu Usili/ Green Beans And Lentils


          Paruppu Usili, this is a very popular dish in South India, is basically a dish made with lentils that is soaked, ground and scrambled. Though I have used different vegetables to the usili, usually it's made with fresh green beans or cluster beans. This is a very healthy dish, good source of protein and makes a perfect combo with rice and moru kuzhambu..

Need To Have

  • Chopped Green Beans - 3 cups
  • Tuvar Dal/ Split Pigeaon Peas - 1/2 cup
  • Dried Red Chillies - 6
  • Urad Dal/ Husked Split Black Gram - 1 teaspoon
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10
  • Salt - to taste

Method


          Soak the tuvar dal for an hour and grind it coarsely with the dried red chillies, using as little water as possible.


          At this stage you can make balls with the ground mixture and steam it in a regular steamer ( idli cooker ). I have used the egg poucher used in the microwave oven, greased it, filled it halfway through and microwaved it for 1 to 11/2 mins. Repeat it with all the ground mixture, remove and cool it.


          Break the cooled lentil cakes into small pieces, take a small quantity in the blender and pulse it lightly. Repeat it with all the pieces.


          Remove and keep the lentil crumbles. Heat a little oil, add the chopped beans and salt and about 1/4 cup water, cover and cook it till done, remove and keep.


          Heat some more oil, add the urad dal, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, when it starts spluttering, add the asafoetida and the curry leaves. Now add the lentil crumbs and a little salt and mix for about 2 minutes, on medium heat.


          Then add the cooked beans, mix for another 3 minutes, remove and serve.


Note
You can use just tuvar dal/ split pigeon peas or a mixture of tuvar dal and chana dal/ bengal gram.
As mentioned earlier you can use other vegetables like carrot, beets and cabbage.
Pin It

24 comments:

  1. very healthy poriyal hema.. i try it with cluster beans..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had this beans usli in a friends place and ever since wanted to try this at home. Bookmarking the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks interesting. I have never tried usili before. Must try this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love paruppu usili with vathal kuzhambu or sambar! classic south indian lunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy and protein rich stir fry..looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow usli is my all time favourite ...urs is inviting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully shown step-by-step and presented...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very inviting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy usili! I never pressure cook/ pre cook the dal! Always used to fry it..hence, usili makes a rare presence! But we love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My all time favourite, love the way u cooked that dal paste through MW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy. Beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using the microwave is a good idea. Will try it sometime soon. Been a long time since I made paruppu usli.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks so yummy and healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so colorful and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is delicious parippu usli Hema. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for your lovely comment, will try out this yummy green soon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah Ha! very comforting to me. Also Hema, I was looking at your idli plate, it looks very interesting to me. Rectangle ones. Never seen this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing healthy recipes. For health conscious people like me, I adored this page. I will try to cook your menu here. I taught my kids to eat vegetables and I am sure that they will love it! I hope to see more posts and healthy menu here. I will always visit your site for the topics here are interesting.

    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete