Thursday, March 28, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies


          Chocolate Chip Cookies, though I have baked it a couple of times, never blogged it, so I thought it's high time that I added this to my bakes. I had initially thought of doing it as half oil and half butter version, but then I had bought some tofu the previous day and I wanted to use it, so went ahead and made a vegan version. To tell you the truth, I was not sure of the result, made a very small batch of just 7 cookies, ready to trash it, if something went wrong. But at the end, they turned out to be really very good, soft and guey, otherwise I wouldn't be blogging it, right. Since I ran out of chocolate chips, I've replaced it with chocolate chunks, hence the name Chocolate Chunk Cookies..

Need To Have

  • All Purpose Flour - 1/2 cup
  • Powdered Sugar - 1/6 cup
  • Chopped Chocolate Chunks - 1/6 cup
  • Oil - 21/2 tablespoon
  • Baking Powder - 1/8 teaspoon
  • Baking Soda - 1/8 teaspoon
  • Vanilla Extract - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Crumbled Tofu - 1 tablespoon
  • Water - 1/2  teaspoon

Method


          Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Take the oil and sugar and beat well, add the vanilla extract, salt, followed by the sifted flour and tofu.


          Bring it all together to form a dough, at this point, if needed, add the 1/2 teaspoon of water. Finally mix in the chocolate chunks. Divide into 6 or 7 portions, shape it into balls and flatten it slightly. Bake them at 180C for 15 to 20 mins. Let it cool and remove.


Note
The next time I am baking this, I am going to reduce the oil, since once I added the chocolate chunks, the dough became pretty oily, I think it's because of the cocoa butter in the chocolate, if you are using chocolate chips, I think this amount of oil should be fine.
The baking time should vary anytime between 15 to 20 mins, remove the cookies, when it's still soft, it hardens as it cools.
The cookies stay good for 2 to 3 days, after that they tend to harden a bit, also after 3 days, better to refrigerate since it has tofu. 
Pin It

25 comments:

  1. lovely cookies hema makes me want to try them now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect cookie, looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its snacks time here, i want those irresistible cookies to munch with a cup of tea..love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome!!loved the clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious vegan chocolate chunk cookies. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely n perfect cookies dear... love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy cookies. Nice clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy that you created your own version of the vegan cookies. Sometimes we need to take the risk, anyways how bad can it get. You are adding all good ingredients, you will only get good results. Looks perfectly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowww.. looks super crunchy and perfect.. lovely shots too !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this vegan version,tempting cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. adding tofu in making cookies is an excellent idea...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a great treat for my kids. I'd love to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh man, those chunks are calling my name! Love the sub of tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hema, I just made them, they came out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What type of tofu did you use? I like to use Mori-Nu, which has different firmness kinds. Though I am thinking Firm, since you mentioned crumbling it into the cookies.
    Also I'll be substituting applesauce for the oil.

    ReplyDelete