Friday, March 22, 2013

Methi Thepla/ Flat Breads With Fenugreek Leaves


          My last post was Mango Chunda/ Chutney, and I had mentioned there, that, I had made Methi Theplas to go with it or vice versa. Theplas are basically flatbreads made with a dough which is made of wheat flour and yogurt/curd along with some spices. Though I had tasted it a couple of times, I really fell in love with it, when I tasted them at my friend's place, her mother had made them and brought with her when she had travelled from India to the US. They tasted simply too good, and I didn't hesitate a moment to ask her the recipe. I made it last week for lunch along with the Chunda and we simply loved it..
Need To Have
  • Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
  • Chopped Methi/ Fenugreek Leaves - 1/2 cup
  • White Sesame Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Yogurt/ Curd - 1/4 cup + 2 or 3 teaspoons
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Sugar - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
Method


          Take the flour, fenugreek leaves and sesame seeds in a bowl and mix it. In another bowl, take the 1/4 cup yogurt ( warmed for 20 secs in the microwave), add the turmeric, chilly and coriander powders, salt, sugar and asafoetida, mix it nicely. 


          Now add this to the flour and bring it together to form the dough, at this point you might need the extra 2 or 3 teaspoons of extra yogurt to get a nice smooth and soft dough. Apply some oil and leave it covered for at least 30 minutes. Divide them into 8 portions. Dusting some flour, roll them into thin discs. 


          Place it on a hot skillet, when you notice it bubbling up slightly, flip it, brush some oil and flip it immediately. Brush some oil on the second side, and once the first side gets light brown spots, flip it one last time and cook the other side till it gets the brown spots. Stack the theplas, one over the other, this way they retain their softness. Serve it warm with some Chunda or any side dish of your choice.


Note
Fresh or frozen fenugreek leaves are available in Indian grocery stores, both work well for making these theplas, if you don't find them, replace them with spinach and some kasuri methi/ dried fenugreek leaves.
My red chilly powder is really spicy, you can add a little more if needed.
While making the theplas, flip it only thrice like I have mentioned, that way you'll get softer theplas.
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. I also make thepla's for trips..I add besan sometimes with aata, sometimes not! Nice clicks Hema!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and yummy recipe, liked the presentation very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and healthy theplas.. Nice presentation..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried & tasted this healthy thepla..will try it later,looks very soft n yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pics, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can never say no to theplas Hema. Perfect travel companions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very healthy thepla.. looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pics Hema! Seeing it I am drooling! Theplas are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow thepla with that mango side-dish.. it must be awesome hema..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The theplas look so good ! And well presented. And with chunda. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It lokks very delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plsssss parcel me some!! These luk absolutely spot on..delcious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Healthy and yummy,looks so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hema the Thepla, looks delicious. I love the clicks, the Thepla looks like the hero here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Health theplas,looks absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love theplas...In my version I add besan a little bit..

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete