Thursday, March 7, 2013

Aloo Methi/ Potato With Fresh Fenugreek, Dry Version


          Potatoes, there can be very few people who'll say 'I hate this vegetable', we might be avoiding it for health reasons, but then the simple potato curry is always very tempting. My daughter loves potatoes, so I make them at least once a week, and this combination with methi/ fenugreek leaves is simply too good. I have another version in my blog which has some gravy, this one is a dry version. I have used Tarla Dalal's recipe, I know, I'll be making this again and again..

Need To Have

  • Potatoes - Boiled, peeled and cubed - 21/2 cups
  • Chopped Methi - 3 cups
  • Ginger - 1" piece, grated
  • Garlic - 2 cloves, grated
  • Green Chilly - 1, chopped finely
  • Dried Red Chillies - 2
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoons
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon

Method


          Dry roast the red chillies and break it into small pieces and keep. Add a little salt to the methi, leave it for half an hour and squeeze out the water. Heat some oil, add the cumin seeds, when it starts sizzling, add the ginger, garlic and the red chillies, saute for a minute till the raw garlic smell goes off. Then add the diced potatoes and saute for about 5 minutes.


Now add the turmeric, coriander powders, asafoetida and salt, chopped methi and green chilly, mix, cover and cook on slow heat for about 10 minutes. Serve it warm with pooris or rotis.


Note
Don't skip the step, squeezing the excess water from the methi, otherwise the dish will not come out dry.
You can use baby potatoes or any potato that doesn't turn mushy will sauteing.
Use fresh coriander powder if possible, it always adds to the flavor.
You can find fresh fenugreek leaves in Indian stores, you can also use the frozen one too, in fact, I always, clean, chop and freeze the methi, so that I can use it later.
Pin It

27 comments:

  1. Ah! Ha! looks so delicious. Beautiful photo of methi aloo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too make aloo methi, but seriously don't like it. I must say your pictures are so good, looks fresh bowl coming straight from kitchen.
    Happy Women's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...looks absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this combination, and this dish looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pity that I can't find all Indian ingredients in my town... Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious combo.. Looks so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who can resist to this flavourful aloo methi, can have it with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy healthy combo,looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite potato recipe looks superb Hema

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice potato methi fry. Looks delicious. Tips on squeezing methi will be much useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Methi and potato I super love this dish. My fav combi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love alu methi..looks delicious,perfect wid rotis

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite !! Can have this anytime with paranthas...
    Love the combo of meethi and aloo.
    ShrutiRasoi
    Today's Recipe
    Plain Cheese Pizza

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this a lot. beautiful flavor combo

    ReplyDelete
  15. the best combo ever.. love this anytime with roti..

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so perfectlyy done :) Loved the presentation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely and wonderful combination.. looks absolutely amazing.. nice clicks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks delicious and nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the information and idea. This will help me a lot of thing. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hema I love your potato dish recipes!
    Always a favourite with light phulkas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the flavour of Methi. The dish looks great

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy potato with methi I love it.

    ReplyDelete