Thursday, March 22, 2012

Poondu Kuzhambu ( Garlic Gravy )


         Poondu (garlic) kuzhambu is a very traditional dish in South Indian cooking. To make it perfectly, you need to have the right amount of sourness, spice level and salt or as known in my language 'uppu, puli, kaaram'.  My daughter loves the garlic in this gravy, she would ask me, whether I could add a 100 of them to the dish. It goes very well with plain white rice and a dal and vegetable curry (kootu) and pappads, a nice spicy gravy for those cold winter or rainy days..

Need To Have 
  • Garlic - 2 big whole bulbs peeled
  • Small Onions Or Shallots - 6 or 7 chopped
  • Green Chillies - 2 slit
  • Tomato - 1 big chopped
  • Tamarind - 1 lemon sized
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 15
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Roast And Powder
  • Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
  • Dried Red Chilli - 1
  • Black Mustard Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Coriander Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Method


          Roast and powder the ingredients given and extract juice from the tamarind (adding hot water to it) and keep.


          Heat oil ( I used sesame oil), add the mustard and fenugreek seeds, once the spluttering stops, add the chopped shallots, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves, saute till the garlic turns slightly golden.


          Next, add the tomato and saute till mushy.


          Then add the ground powder, turmeric powder, salt and the tamarind extract, boil it uncovered till the raw smell of tamarind goes away and the gravy becomes thick. Garnish with curry leaves and serve warm with rice, it goes well with idlis and dosas too.


Sending it to Sumee's Culinary Bites for the Bon Vivant event,
                to Vegetarian Food And Me for I'm The Star event,
                to Sara's Corner for the Women's Day Celebration event,
                to Shama's Easy2cook Recipes for Sara's Cooking With Love - Granddad Series event,
                to Foodelicious for the Only South Indian event,
                to Food Corner for the Midweek Fiesta event and
                to Srav's Cooking Concepts for the Vegan Diet - Only Plant Based event.

 Note
The red chillies I have were very spicy, use more or less, depending on the spice level.
The sesame oil is the one available at Indian stores, not the one from Chinese stores, this is for my non Indian readers.

[Only%2520South%2520Indian%255B3%255D.png]








Pin It

36 comments:

  1. I too love poondu kuzhambu, nice gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so scrumptious and tempting Hema. lovely bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking so awesome. love the bright red color

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and so colorful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely prepared.I love garlic too.Yummy poonu kuzhambu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy n perfectly done..nice.never knows this.....
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this a lot ...Yummy ..and I loved ur daughter's question .

    ReplyDelete
  8. So yummy... Mouth watering!! Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. slurrp...mouthwatering tangy gravy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mouthwatering..this is new to me..interesting one..i loved garlic flav..

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so cloudy here and looking at your post I want to make it for dinner. I love poondu kozhambu a lot. Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garlic flavoured gravy a must-tried recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it too.. i grind it off.. loved the bowl too :)..Thanks hema for linking it :)

    Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my all time favorite. Looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. flavourful kuzhambhu with nice combo of spices

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks so tasty & an inviting dish with spicy appearance...I like to cook garlic as it is healthy .But mine is a different recipe & now I found another recipe from you...
    Thanks a lot for sharing with Midweek Fiesta...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made Inji Kuzhambu! This is bound to be good considering the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am drooling here..Luv the addition of pepper in the kulambu...I am also like ur daughter..Luv this to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love garlic, my kids too, they would eat chopped raw garlic as a condiment to rice dishes! This looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love garlic. Spicy and yummy gravy.I have left an award for you. Please collect it at my blog.

    http://cuisinedelights.blogspot.in/2012/03/award-time.html

    Cuisine Delights
    My First Event-SPOTLIGHT:"LUNCHBOX IDEA" .

    ReplyDelete
  21. This does look like it would really hit the spot, especially with that garlic. Delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uhhhhh.. lovely Kuzhambu in that pot. Very tempting., I could almost smell the aroma for fresh ground masala. Thnx for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  23. i've never heard of garlic gravy! looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. one of my favourite kuzhambu.. looks yummm...

    ReplyDelete
  25. My mouth is watering just looking at the description. Love garlic and this curry looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love this dish..Looking for the best recipe finally found in this posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Hema, My kid loves garlic too and I'm sure he would love this spicy-yangy kuzhambu too. Thanks for linking it to 'Only'. Pls correct the name of my blog, it is Foodelicious.


    FOODELICIOUS

    MARCH EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SOUTH INDIAN & COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice tangy and spicy gravy !! Thanks for linking to the event !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

    ReplyDelete